Monday, March 15, 2010

Driving Home

On my way home after work I noticed a bumper sticker I'd never seen before. It said "Buck Ofama" in the same design as Obama's "Hope" campaign stickers.

I'm going to say something I've been very tight-lipped about--especially at work. I did not vote for Barack Obama. It's not that I don't like the guy, I just find myself leaning a little to the right since I started my career and my family.

That said, when I saw this sticker on the back of the beat up old ford truck that had more colors than it should have I was enraged.

How could someone be so rude to another human being? The statement wasn't funny or witty. It was plain disrespectful.

He is now the President of the United States and even though I didn't vote for him I am trying my best to support him through prayer and "Hope" and I also respect him. He won. That's it. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If anyone choses not to support him in one way or another, fine. But chosing words as negative as what I saw driving home from work is tacky and doesn't get us anywhere.

Go out, vote, write your Congressman and made your voice heard for an issue (or issues) that you're passionate about. And also, come up with a better way to express yourself even if it is through a bumper sticker! Respect one another, especially people like Barack Obama who have the courage and drive to make something of themselves and represent an oppressed group of people as well as he has.

That's all for now. Just had to get that off my chest.

1 comment:

  1. Disrespect and bumper stickers aren't going to change the world anyway. Props to you for "coming out" about who you voted for. Not easy to do when you live in Austin :)

    ReplyDelete