Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm So Damn Old

Okay so maybe 23 isn't the best time to have a "mid-life crisis" but I think it's happening anyway.

It all started with my husband's cousin's quincenera. We were having an excellent time until the reggaeton music started. As kids are expected to do, many of the 15-year-old's friends bunch up in a raging ball of hormones in the middle of the dimly-lit dance floor. Juan and I jumped to our feet to start dancing too. We were salsa-ing, mambo-ing, gyrating, twisting and even just plain jumping on the side of the dance floor.
It happened... we were the old couple still trying to be cool in the mists of a new generation pushing is aside on the metaphorical dance floor.

Since then, I've been slowly falling apart. I've noticed my hands getting dryer (I've heard it's a sign of age), my face getting dimmer and my mind growing stagnant while watching the same episode of "Family Guy" for the third time. I even have trouble standing up straight after picking up my not-so-little "Little Man-Ethan".
My diet is horrid, I'm almost a couch potato and I've read only fiction books since I graduated.

Well no more!
Last week I bought my first ever night re-firming cream and am doing well so far with remembering to apply it every night.
I'm reading more non-fiction and getting up at 5 AM to exercise. This new blog, my new Facebook profile and my oscillating conviction to start a Twitter account is also part of this new renaissance.
I'm also hoping to start yoga since there is nothing yoga can't cure- or so I hear- and am going to start running like Phoebe in that one episode of "Friends". Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about!

Also, I've found out that taking pictures of myself makes me feel younger & better. I don't know why. Maybe it's because it reminds me of how vain I was in late high school and early college.

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how I'm doing after a month or so of trying to be "young again" and let me know if you have any suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. Pssshhht! You are not old, because that would mean I'm old. Where are you going to take yoga classes? If you want a yoga buddy let me know...it's been more than a year since I've gone, but I used to do it pretty frequently. Kinda miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete